Thursday, January 5, 2012

2011: A Look Back

2011 was a year of "Meh".  Nothing really stands out as super exciting or super heinous.  Though the last two months did drag down the rest of the year to "Not great."  Some highlights of the year, I learned to chainmail, I learned silver filigree and soldering, I learned wire wrapping and all sorts of cool tricks with that.  I also learned how to make copper cuffs and how very much I hated it the whole time.  I helped the Patuxent Lapidary Guild sell during our holiday sales.  I made my first sales (two specifically).  Finally, I started my Etsy shop.  Lot's of learning, but not so much being productive.

The last two months of 2011 were a mixed bag.  We made a surprising discovery that I was pregnant, surprising for the fact that there was trying at some level for the past 3 years.  This was right before Thanksgiving and really boosted the month of November.  It was exciting and very very scary.  I was constantly nauseous, but had to eat all the time or I'd get even more nauseous.  December held the first sonogram and the crappy news of the year.  There would be no baby, it had not developed and I was going to have a miscarriage (if you saw/read Marley and Me, it was the same news they received).  It was a sad moment, but I didn't get depressed (which is a triumph on its own).  I understand it can happen, the hardest part was losing the idea of having a kid.  Physically, the miscarriage sucked.  It was very unpleasant and I hope never ever to go through it again.  The thing that bothered me the most was having to tell the people we told about the pregnancy that it was no more.  I was completely embarrassed we had said anything in the first place.  Rational?  Probably, not, but it was certainly not something I wanted to tell them in person or on the phone.  E-mail was my friend. 

So, what's in the year ahead?  I'm looking forward to making more time for my crafts.  I have two sewing projects in the works for Wicked.  One is a steam punk/victorian costume, the pattern is by Simplicity.  The other is a Can-Can Skirt from Truly Victorian.  I've purchased my first ever corsets to go along with these.  I hope they turn out well.  In addition, January holds another sewing day, which I love because I always learn something during these! I'd also like to grow my jewelry making abilities.  I have a class on casting coming up and another on PMC.  So I'll be learning more.  I'd also like to work on my design of wire wrapped stuffs.  I find I get stuck in a particular type of wrap.  Which really limits.  There will be lots of surfing for ideas in my future.

Certainly, not a pretty picture post, but I'm really hoping to get better about documenting my crafting efforts!

No comments:

Post a Comment